FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:51 am
travelgeek1197

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by stc
If it was out of AA's control, B6 and DL would be suffering the same on time percentages that AA is. Yet AA is at the bottom of the barrel.

Let's see, ideas to fix it:
(More) spare planes in BOS (and elsewhere).
(More) spare crew in BOS (and elsewhere).
Fix the aging fleet.
Redesign routes so that delays do not propagate.
Etc.

I'm sure someone in the airline industry could actually Pareto the data as to what causes delays (and not just the proximate cause but all things that contribute to each delay) and find some low hanging fruit to fix. But I'm just a computer engineer that does this with computer systems and software.

Actually this route would probably help, because rather than needing to fly BOS-(JFK/PHL/etc)-SFO and getting delayed people could fly BOS-SFO directly and avoid the NYC or PHL mess (assuming AA used dedicated planes.)
While I do not work in operations, I will venture the guess that rolling / unbanked hubs help with delays (delays exacerbated when everything leaves and arrives at the same time) and that is why AA had that for so long before the "merger". For many years despite lagging in the hard / soft product, their ability to deal with IRROPs seemed second to none.

~TG