FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG Censoring Negative Reviews
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:45 am
Austin180

IHG Censoring Negative Reviews

It appears that IHG or the Crowne Plaza Beijing Wanfujing is censoring my factual (albeit negative review) of their property. It has been rejected twice for the following reasons:

-specific references to other hotel brands.
-irrelevant or inappropriate content.
-the mention of specific dollar amounts and/or rates.

My post did not include any references to any of the reasons they cited. The property does not like what I have to say. Below is the exact review. Any ideas on how to get posted? I've already reached out to their executive liaison.

Review:

"First - This hotel actively engages in unwanted "dynamic currency conversion". When checking out I was presented with a credit card receipt (full page of text) and towards the bottom it referenced a specific USD amount. The hotel attempted to bill me at the USD amount, not the agree upon CNY amount. Three lines above it referenced a specific CNY amount. However, the USD amount was much more than CNY amount (the hotel attempted to "exchange" the currency on my behalf at a terrible exchange rate versus charging my credit card in the local CNY currency). The issue is that I never agreed to or was made aware of this dynamic currency conversion scheme at this property. The hotel made the choice to "convert" this transaction on my behalf without my consent at a terrible exchange rate. Further, they actively worked to hide this transaction. Fortunately, I caught this during checkout and had the original amount in CNY billed to my credit card avoiding paying additional money to the hotel and their bank. Again there is no easy way to stay this other than, in my opinion, these factual circumstances was attempted fraud.

Second - There was a large amount of hair in the bathtub when we arrived.

Third - There was a very large and noticeable water stain on the ceiling near the window. Two nights later it developed in black mold. At this point I was too lazy to change rooms.

Fourth - On the third night the air conditioner started leaking and water was continuously (and loudly) dripping from the ceiling (near the door). The leak caused a huge water stain and plaster from the ceiling started coming down and we finally went to the front desk. They promptly put us in a suite and offered free breakfast. The suite was great (1-night), but still showed major signs of "tiredness" and was not well maintained. For example, an electrical outlet was coming out of the wall, there were stains on the carpet, the bathroom door did not lock, etc.

I do not recommend this hotel.

Title: Tired, Dirty, and Unwanted Dynamic Currency Conversion"

Overall, I cannot believe that IHG or their properties are allow to censor for literally made up reasons. I'll never trust hotel ratings again especially IHG. The funny thing is that I do not think that this property gets it. I'll continue to complain and won't stop. They can't shut me up and this is not China - they can't act like this.