FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel as companion to person with Alzheimer's/ dementia
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:39 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Excellent idea, although I think I would have made bilingual ones with whatever country I'm going to.
Yes, and it is possible with a little effort. At this point much of our travel is on English-speaking airlines, cruise lines and within countries shete English is at least spoken commonly (e.g. our recent trip to Iceland).

For some others (Japan much of Europe, etc.) that would probably be useful (though attitudes expressed by some Japanese to people who are "different" are less than salutary and welcoming).

For yet others, probably a waste of time. I can think of a number of countries where the information would be less than useful (particularly with petty officials and bureaucrats) due to ignorance and negative attitudes toward people with a disability (such as in my natal country, Mexico).

Originally Posted by ysolde
JDiver, this is such a wonderful, wonderful thread. It is incredibly useful. It is also incredibly moving. Letting people know what is going on and what your companion's needs are is so often the key.

If I may, I know my own husband does this for me. As you know, I travel with my own wheelchair, as I have limited mobility. When we are traveling TATL, before he goes to sleep, my husband will quietly advise the FA that, if I am going to the lav, just wake him up, and he will get up to walk me there (we usually sit one in front of the other). As soon as the FAs are aware that all I need is assistance walking to and from the lav (not inside the lav), no one wakes up my husband; the FAs walk me to and from the lav themselves. Point is, the more information the cabin crew have, the easier it is for them to provide me with assistance, kindly and unobtrusively.
Thank you for the very kind and supportive words.

Thank you for sharing a very positive effect of educating and building personal bridges.