FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More
Old Mar 21, 2004, 8:08 pm
jtrader

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
The WSJ article makes all those places sound great. Has anyone tried any of them, specifically the Rut and Lek seafood place?

Off to BKK tomorrow, well, later today!
</font>

I've been to Rut& Lek, Suda (many times),
Shahrazad, Krua Rommai and Ta Yang Grou.

Suda (short walk from Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit) is the closest to a "general" Thai restaurant with a huge variety of typical Thai dishes. I've been Celadon (recommended above, at the Sukothai), the Thai restaurant at the Oriental, and the Thai restaurant at the Regent (now Four Seasons). While all those hotel restaurants were nice and good, IMHO Suda is head and shoulders above them in quality of food. I can't recommend it highly enough. However, definitely be prepared for the food to be hot.

Rut & Lek is also excellent. While Bangkok isn't known for great Chinese food, I thought Ta Yang Grou was amazing (not particularly fancy, just incredibly well executed & delicious).

While I thought Krua Rommai was good, I wasn't quite as impressed as the WSJ reviewer. I also liked Shahrazad (short walk from JW Marriott).

I've been to a number of other restuarants Sesser recommends in other cities and have found his reviews extremely reliable. Happy eating!