FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Airfare Prices Fall 2016
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:06 pm
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
It's the optics of doing such a thing. Someone notices a pattern, then some news outlet picks it up, then some senator or congressman from an affected state takes notice, then it's a very public story that makes DL look bad. The federal government may not regulate airfare anymore, but the sort of thing that I've just described has happened before in situations like this.

Again, that's why I highly doubt that DL is doing what OP suggested.
I guess I just don't see how it would be viewed as a bad thing. Most people would prefer flying a plane that's not as full. I also highly doubt there would be any hearings. Unless they're willing to re-institute the CAB and regulate airfare again (which would also bring issues with Open Skies Treaties) there's nothing that Congress/DOT can do. Not saying Congress doesn't waste a lot of time on pointless subjects. However in this case I don't see either party willing to go back to regulated airfare pricing/routes. Normally there's at least the risk of Congress doing something when they hold a hearing, even if they don't do anything most times.