FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two July Weeks in Thailand (without the kids!) in CX F and JL F
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:30 pm
greg0ire

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Part 2: 3 Nights in Bangkok

Cathay’s terminal at HKG is gigantic. We loved both The Wing and The Pier F Lounges. I didn't take any pics as I wasn't in FT TR mode.

CX703 HKG-BKK 17:05-19:00

This was my first time flying F on a 747. Really enjoyed the experience of sitting in the nose...especially before their retirement on CX in a few months. Also felt lucky to get this plane since aircraft swaps appear to be very common for this route. There were four passengers including my wife and myself. One passenger bought his ticket just to take pictures of the flight.

Our home for the next three hours

Loved the windows in the lavatory

A little Johnnie Walker Blue

Decent appetizer. I actually didn't like the main course offering and chose a beef dish from business class.

Such a nice touch. We got a card signed by every crew member for both flights because we were celebrating our anniversary.

We spent three nights at the Conrad Bangkok

The breakfast offerings for diamond were substantial at both the restaurant downstairs or the lounge on the 30th floor.

Our fist full day was a Sunday. We headed out to Chatachuk Market. It is not to be missed! This 35-acre area houses more than 8,000 market stalls. They have EVERYTHING and at ridiculously cheap prices (though some bargaining is a must).

My wife and I had some fun with the BTS station names. Our hotel is near "Flowing sh!t" and we had to take the train to "More sh!t."

Stalls, stalls, and more stalls

Nobody cooks at home in this country. It's cheaper to just pick up food at the vendors located on any busy street.

The Conrad has an excellent evening cocktail service with wine, beer, and cocktails.

We headed to Soi Cowboy to see the craziness of the street for ourselves.

Nana Plaza was just as busy and crazy. Strip joint after strip joint. Some had women and some had "ladyboys."

Day two was about walking and visiting temples.

Do not hire a taxi! Uber rides are dirt cheap.

We visited three temples and the palace.

25 cent ferry ride across the river

These tuk-tuks are everywhere. They are a cheap mode for transportation, but can be unsafe.

We also saw the Giant Swing. I'm not sure what the attraction was.

The next day we set out for Maeklong Market and Amphawa Floating Market

We figured out how to go 50 miles round trip on $7 total for two people.

It involved a minibus

and a songathaew

It's a bit of a ways, but the Maeklong Market is not to be missed! part of this market is on railroad tracks. Five times a day the train comes by. As a result the market owners have to close the tarps and push their products away from the tracks. This was a highlight to watch.

Prior to the train

Train coming

Train leaving

And owners setting everything back again

Then we headed over to the Amphawa Market. Oops, today is Tuesday and the market is open on weekends. We weren't disappointed because this market was just an add on. Also, we got a boat ride for super cheap because nobody actually visits on a weekday.

I find this unsettling so I wanted you all to feel the same.

Back in Bangkok we grabbed an ice cream cone at a very familiar place.

Drivers here are crazy!

It's common to drive on the wrong side.

This dad was in a hurry getting his child to school. Traffic was heavy, so he drove his child on the sidewalk...at least one of them is wearing a helmet.

Motorbikes EVERYWHERE!

Headed up to Sky Bar (where they filmed Hangover II) for our last night. Though everything we purchased from food to suits to presents were quite cheap, this bar was pretty pricey, but the views were awesome.

Only because Bangkok wouldn't be complete without it.

Stay tuned for part three, three nights in Chiang Mai...

Last edited by greg0ire; Jul 27, 2016 at 9:35 pm