FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling to Rio and Iguazu Falls after Olympics (Safety)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:55 am
boboqui

Originally Posted by hamburglar
I'm trying to get a better picture of the risks involved in going to Rio after the Olympics (early September). It's all over the news that crime is up among many other bad things going on. Trying to figure out if the recent increase in reporting is due to the Olympics being such a high profile event, or if it's actually that dangerous. In particular, would going to the Favelas (even on a guided tour) be a bad idea?

My wife and I have been to some run down places around the world (Honduras, Cambodia, etc.) so we are smart and aware of our surroundings. Thanks for any input.
Would you recommend a tour of Oaksterdam to a visitor? So why go visit a slum rather than a beautiful tourist attraction?

As far as safety goes, one needs to maintain constant security awareness, not venturing into the unknown and in the unlikely misfortune of a robbery, stay calm and do not to react, otherwise causing the drugged-up criminal's fragile control of himself to shatter, resulting in an explosion of violence.