Old Jul 25, 16, 11:11 pm
shgroamer

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Dfw-mia-mad-bcn aa f/ib j

DFW-MIA-MAD-BCN

The plan was to fly out of DFW mid/late morning and connect in MIA for our Iberia TATL flight. It was December 30 and we were slated to land in BCN late morning, just in time for a bit of rest before NYE shenanigans.

As any work trip and most leisure trips start, we found ourselves in one of the DFW AC's (I don't remember which terminal but it was A or C). Had a few drinks in anticipation of skipping the gate lice epidemic plaguing our boarding processes across the nation.

I think this was supposed to be a screwdriver. Hey, it was early.

Nothing special about this flight, it was one of the new 321's with the IFE and bells & whistles. We landed in MIA a bit late but nothing detrimental to our upcoming flight. One note, they weren't able to print our BP's at DFW and mobile wasn't working, probably something to do with it being an IB flight.

Sup

Unmemorable feAAst

"Don't put this on your little flyer website"

We wanted to check out the OW lounge located in the international departures area at MIA, which is a dump. When trying to check in, the agent at the desk was not able to grant access without a BP (I thought I'd be able to get it in the lounge), but apparently they aren't able to print them.

Went to the gate as directed, about 15 mins before boarding was supposed to begin. The gate agent printed BP's, and we decided to just wait it out in what seemed to be a departure area with no A/C and way too little seating. This part sucked and I probably won't connect in MIA for an international flight if I can help it in the future.

We boarded 2L, turned left, had the last row in the larger front J cabin on Iberia's A330-300. The seats are set up in a staggered 1-2-1, meaning every other row in the middle section, you're right next to your seat mate. This can be awkward if you don't know the person next to you as there is nothing dividing you but an average arm rest. If you're traveling alone, sit in a "true" window seat, again, every other row.

Our seats

Holaaa

L'Occitaine amenity kit in an iPad mini case

Don't even bother

I wanted to sleep a bit so I was hoping for a quick dinner service/drinks, and then some zzz's. I would say IB's hard product is right behind AA and Finnair's new products for TATL OW options. Aisle Access, lie flats, better than average IFE.

The crew and meal service were nothing to write home about. Pics are below; all the catering was ok, but I would say the main dish was least impressive and frankly probably just a Y meal presented in something other than plastic. Little did I know how bad Y meals on IB are (more on that later). Some nice touches with the service overall though, including Marcona almonds, turrón, cava, and some manchego got us in the mood for some real Spanish food we would indulge in once on the ground. Now it was time for a wine-induced sleep.

Keep it simple stupid (and edible?)

I love olives and I love almonds and I love gin

Wine not pictured. This starter actually wasn't bad

This on the other hand...

Probably best part of the meal, and that's not saying a lot

I probably got about 3-4 solid hours of sleep. The cabin was a bit hot, I'm sure partly due to the amount I drank on this flight, so my strategy to drink and sleep didn't work too well (it never does). I typically don't consume alcohol in transit when traveling for work, so I thought I would indulge.

This is how close these seats are when fully flat. SQ double bed's got nothing on this

Quasi-cabin shot

Mood lighting w/ IFE

Brekkie...carb city, bro

Overall, soft and hard product considered, IB is nothing special, as many of you probably know. They wouldn't be my first choice next time around, especially with AA bringing their 787-9 on the DFW-MAD route. Probably ahead of BA though.

We deplaned out of 1L and began the long trek through MAD (it's quite the hike) to connect for our quick flight to BCN. The IB lounge in the domestic EU terminal was a good spot to quickly refresh. After some time there, we headed to the gate and were off to Barcelona fairly quickly. Not sure how full the flight was but boarding was seamless with absolutely nobody crowding the gate. We were 2 of 3 people in F for this flight, which is just Y with a meal and a blocked off seat between you and the other person in your row (3-3 config).

F cabin from MAD-BCN

Rainy/foggy day in Madrid, sorry for the especially poor quality, but I like pictures of planes

CLT or PHL bound? Still getting used to the AA livery LUS A330s

Breakfast on this short hop--it actually was better than what was served on the TATL leg

Turrón

Getting close to BCN

Mediterranean

Vueling at BCN

We got to BCN, grabbed a cab to our hotel, which was Le Méridien off Las Ramblas.

Up next, Barcelona + Renfe to Madrid