FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Four Points Havana, Cuba [Master Thread]
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:33 pm
alanslegal

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
A quick hotel tour only!

**Sorry about the photos sizes!**

I visited the Four Points by Sheraton Havana a few days ago which happened purely by chance as I generally have no need to be in that part of Havana. It is an upscale area where many of the foreign consulates are at. My friends needed to go to the Air France Office to change some flights and by chance the Four Points was across the road so I decided to run across and have a quick look - whilst they did their business - and I take some candid photos!

Definitely an opulent hotel in its heyday but now just a Four Points by Sheraton but more importantly the first American hotel chain to do business in Cuba in close to 60 years - that's something I guess.

It takes some walking up those central steps to get to the lobby but entering the lobby, I was surprised it was better than I expected. I guess I felt that it did not suit the Four Points branding but could have maybe passed as a dated Sheraton in need of a new coat of paint and some new furniture. There are SPG signs at the check-in desk so it is coming together but no Platinum/Gold welcome mats on the floor just yet

I asked if I could see a room and maybe take a tour - and bingo - yes sir, please wait a moment and a Public Relations Manager will come and show me around ^

Anyway, you can see the photos to get an idea of the hotel. I was shown a standard room on the executive floor. The common area carpets looked new and walls appeared painted recently. I expected that there will be many outstanding improvements to bring it up to brand standard, such as the bedding. I was informed that it could be around 6 to 9 months before the bedding is replaced, so as with the toiletries which still uses the local product (that all the other Havana hotels use too) and not the generic 4P tubes. The bathroom was good size and appeared renovated. The TVs are 40inch LCD so at least that's a positive for Cuba Wifi is available and free for SPG members who book direct. I enjoyed about 10 minutes of internet in my 10 days there - that's crazy in today's modern world

Anyway, Platinum's will be upgraded to a suite if available and was told that the platinum amenity will be the full buffet at the restaurant. We will find out when a Platinum Flyertalker actually stays there and confirms.

To sum up I guess, my opinion is that it's located a nice quiet location and away from all that exhaust fumes. The hotel appeared in better condition that many hotels found in Havana - including The Nacional. It would be about 20 minutes by a really old car with no air con to the old town and you might get it down to 10CUC/USD cost. I personally wouldn't want to be that far out of the old town if visiting as a tourist unless you are keen to haggle on taxi cost. If only there was wifi/4G/internet in Havana and then Uber might exist and a 10CUC trip becomes only 3CUC - serious but true. The Hotel Inglaterra - which will become a Luxury Collection - is is the perfect spot and has an air of history with it but as mentioned in my post on that thread - I stayed there previously and it will require significant remodelling/renovations and intensive staff training before it will become a grand hotel reflective of the LC brand. What's more interesting, there are two brand new 5* hotels currently being built in the old town and when they become online in the next few years. Some people like grand buildings, some like modern ones - it will be an interesting future for Havana and Cuba.
Attached Images