FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New "Budget Economy" fares
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:51 am
seat38a

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
I think limiting more seat assignments until check-in actually helps get families seated together. Provided everyone is traveling on the same PNR, it should be easy to manually or automatically assign seats together from a larger open pool of unassigned seats. Personally, I think all non-elites should wait until check-in for seat assignments.
Why should someone NOT paying the ultra low fare be punished by not being allowed to select their seats at purchase? The idea with the budget fare is not to reward people for paying ultra low fares. They get whatever seats are left after everyone else has selected what they want.

My problem is with people who buy these fares knowing very well that they are taking a big risk that the family wont be sitting together, and then ..... and moan or feign ignorance and make it everyone else's problem. Drives me nuts when I plan ahead, pay extra whatever and then get hit with someone who wants to change now because they want to sit with their husband, wife etc etc etc..