FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [LIVE] Weekend trip to Costa Rica in BA J & F
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:43 pm
megaloman

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Flight LGW ✈ ALC ✈ LGW

Flight LGW ✈ ALC ✈ LGW

So this is where this trip becomes a little bit bitter.

As I tried to stay in my time zone with my sleeping pattern, I wasn't feeling too bad and was keen to take my finishing back-2-back bit to Alicante. Unfortunatelly, when I arrived at the train station for 17:12 train to Gatwick I got welcomed by cancellations and delays.

I was gutted. I could possibly get in time for my departure, but how I would return home after midnight? My return flight was scheduled to return to Gatwick at 1:00 am.

I decided not to go. I lost 80 tier points and 5000+ avios for not taking two flights in Club Europe.

Lesson learnt for the future - the fare rules allowed a stop over in London in both directions. I should have booked a more comfortable time for this back-2-back on return. Weekend would be better. Combine it with (un)planned trip - would be perfect. I think, when I was booking the trip, I was so excited about the deal, I didn't think it through well. I could have combined it with my trip to Barcelona tomorrow - as I am flying on the redemption booking, I could have cancelled it and finish my SJO trip flying in Club to BCN. Oh well.

Thanks for reading! If you have more questions - please post them here or send me a PM. Will be happy to answer them!