FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Birthday...UA J Mileage Run? SFO-TPE-HKG-EWR-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-HNL-SFO
Old Jul 17, 16, 12:55 am
JVPhoto

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The Ace Hotel, New York

Compared to other places I've stayed The Ace had a good rate so I figured I would try it out. I've only been in the rooms once when I was on a bender with two models I had shot. Been to some events in the lobby and have eaten at The Breslin 2x (hate it).
After almost 10 years in NY I've only had to deal with hotel staff since August. The Ace (while I know that it's its thing to be cool/casual/hip) could at least get the girl at the front desk to make eye contact.

The bed was big and COMFY. Had some great sleeps on it coming off the harder rocks in Asia. There was no curtain in the bathroom, only a frosted window...with the frosted door on the window it meant the room was lit by 9am so once it woke me up I put my eye patch on.
Maid service leaves something to be desired. The first two days I had the sign on my door from 10am-3:30pm and no one came in that time.

For the same area I would consider checking out The Nomad in the future or just returning to The Carlton.

I didn't do much in NY, just hang out with friends.
Two friends finally took me to Aire Ancient Baths in Tribeca which was amazing!

Super cool space, nice massage, wonderful to soak and walk around the baths. Pricey but for sure worth it.

I also had my birthday tradition of dinner at Indochine. I used to live around the corner on 4th and up Bowery from it so I would go fairly often, but it started back in 2007 as a thing to do where I would take 8-10 friends. This time it was just 4 of us as things, people, change. Jane Fonda was also throwing a dinner.

I checked out the new (well...technically original location) of Barneys on 17th Street. Cramped, horrible windows, low ceilings, horrible staff. Will continue shopping at Madison with my usual sales associates. The Fred's was decent and enjoyed a boozy lunch.