FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CPT-JNB-IAD on SAA
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:51 pm
token385

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by partsunknown
So I booked a trip recently to CPT through JNB on SAA through a ridiculously cheap fare. We want to see either Victoria Falls or a park around JNB. My thought was buying a cheap ticket out of CPT a day or two before our return departure back home to either Victoria falls (and back to JNB) or to JNB to see that area. Then simply boarding the JNB-IAD flight and skipping the CPT-JNB leg as flying back to CPT to follow our original itinerary back home would be a waste of time and additional cost only to fly back through JNB.

I figured calling them to ask if it was possible to cancel just that CPT-JNB leg would result in a "no", but would skipping that one leg be an issue trying to board in JNB?
No-showing for the CPT-JNB flight on the return will result in automatic cancelling of the JNB-IAD flight. This would possibly make the "ridiculously cheap" airfare null and void. Quite sure that any changes to this fare are hugely cost prohibitive. So you could very well find yourselves in a situation that becomes extremely costly.