FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm leaving on a (non-Air Canada) jetplane.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:15 pm
yyzprincess

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by filthycasual
Anybody else finding the $20K spend to be too high for their travel habits and won't reach SE status? Is that AC's intent in the first place?
Yes. For my travel habit 3-4 Trips in Premium Canada-JNB/CPT, because the issuing airline is LH I will receive 20% of the fare. If I issue it on 014, same ticket will cost me 20%-25% more.
Trips to Asia, if ticketed on 014, even though paying J far my *A connecting flights book into Y. Thus forcing me to ticket on *A carrier.
Than there is big fare delta on lowest upgradeable fare differential between AC & UA to Australia.

Summary if I want to go for AC SE, I will have to cough up $$$$$ for my travel to South Africa & Australia.

IMHO, current SE benefits do not justify paying additional $$$$$ to AC for my business travel to JNB/CPT.

My AC travel budget will be shared between UA, SQ, ANA & LH. I can use my UA GPU to upgrade to First from J on LH & ANA .^

If you can make it to UA1K it is well worth. The benefits blow AC SE benefits out of the water.

BTW, UA RDM earning is based on dollars spent. I have been able to recoup the shortfall by purchasing RDM less than 2cents a mile. With AC Intl fares being typical 40% higher than UA fares; the savings I use to purchase additional RDM.
Savings on my Asia & Australia trip, I can purchase 100K additional RDM per roundtrip.

A typical RT to Australia purchasing lowest upgradable fare on United & additional purchase of RDM I get 130K+ RDM.
Using the savings by not purchasing lowest AC upgradeable fare

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jul 13, 2016 at 6:17 pm