FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hot Towel, Cold Towel: Phuket/Bangkok CX(F), Amanpuri, Mandarin Oriental
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:09 pm
mordy2000

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
It was pretty hot and humid -- but not crazy uncomfortable (it was MUCH hotter on our trip to Beijing last year). Mostly high 80s to low 90s F. Yes, most say to go in winter, but this time of year worked out well for us -- and being it's off-peak, we got good rates. Amanpuri was pretty empty (but from what I read elsewhere, Aman resorts always feel very quiet anyway).

I did swim in the ocean -- it was very warm and awesome. Although the current was pretty strong. This reminds me that I was struck at the time at how "touristy" Phuket is... even though Amanpuri is in the Surin beach area, there was plastic and related trash washing up on the shore. Nothing like what washes up at Coney Island in Brooklyn, but enough that I noticed it...

We used AA miles for all of the Cathay flights. Also a sad reminder of how things used to be... last year, CX in F cost us 67k miles each way. This year, a whopping 110k miles each way...

@TOMFORD -- Bangkok Airways didn't offer business class. Besides, it's a 1hr flight