FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yyz-tpe-sin-tpe-yyz – br - eva j
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:04 pm
mkjr

Programs: FT
Arrival was easy into SIN. The only issue is that my purchased SIM card ended up killing my SIM tray and I was without a phone for my trip…which was not the end of the world since I would dump data with Wifi….but a minor annoyance.

Took the bus to the Mandarin Oriental where I was staying.

This is probably one of the trips that did the least amount of planning for and frankly, I had some stuff going on with my disabled child’s school at the time that I actually did not even want to be there. I tried to make the most of it.

Booked a few nights early at the MO. Great pool area and the champagne brunch is amazing (not cheap, however). The club lounge is very nice. Had a great room overlooking the MBS hotel, I suspect I was upgraded based on prior states at the MO chain. I would stay here again in a second. You could just waste away the day in the oppressive SIN heat at the pool.

Met up with my mom and she wanted to have a Singapore Sling…bar was very nice but the prices were just plain stupid. I had a beer.

Had dinner the first night with a friend. Just at one of the food stalls at Makansutra – www.makansutra.com I think the stall we went to was Redhill Rong Guang. Probably drank too many jugs of beer. Food was decent and it was not a long walk from the MO.

Then ended up at a “secret” bar, well not too secret since a couple of drunkards like us manage to stumble on the same - http://horsesmouthbar.com/ had a few nice drinks and called it a night….

Then I just relaxed at the MO pool. It was very nice – hung out for a few hours and did some work until I met up with my mom around 11am. Frankly, this was the only time I felt like I enjoyed my trip. It was nice to pop in the pool to cool down from the oppressive heat.

Did the all you can drink option at the Mandarin for the brunch on Sunday. Probably a very bad idea since I ended up passing out and waking up after a few hours only to then be basically wide awake for the remainder of the night. Serves me right. Even some Kavalan Solist Sherry cask I picked up at TPE duty free had a tough time doing the trick.

It was at the tail end of CNY and they had some stuff.

A few photos walking around wide awake…. Did very little that night and opted not to meet up with a friend in town since I was pretty hung and as I noted above, I was not really wanting to be there anyway.

Had some breakfast in the lounge at the MO. Nothing nicer to start the day than a glass of bubbles…food was great and perhaps one of the best club lounges I have been in for food and booze.

The food spread was pretty amazing.

[/URL]