FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unsecured cabin on landing/takeoff
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:37 am
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I've been passed out beyond landing. =P But I usually have my seat in upright.

I don't drive. I do wear a seatbelt in every cab and uber I take.

The tray table doesn't seem to destow itself that I've seen. But yes, pax without seatbelt on, or still reclined in Y, is pretty serious for other pax, nm the actual offender. Just had a crew that conscientiously put every armrest down in J, and this is how they were trained.

The "open screen" and "green light" do not exist as far as I can see in the dreamcabin. Only lights I see are purple (ac plugged in) and yellow (do not disturb) So I guess this only applies to the old XM cabins still floating around on the 333? And I've sneaked a peak at the map below 10,000 as well, but not at flare.

Ok, let me clarify: I've seen seatbelts dangling in the aisle during landing (In Y and Y+), and a complete failure to even walk through the cabin before landing. In these cases, I don't think the pax was trying to cause trouble, but just forgot or didn't notice.

Anyhow, I'm not arguing the "rules" are good or bad. I'm saying they're not being followed, and I think it's a dangerous mentality when crew creatively invent ad hoc procedures. That being said, just had a couple very good AC longhauls, and crew were absolutely over-the-top with service and in the securing the cabin. If indeed the armrest position isn't a concern, then it needs to be changed in the standard operating procedures, not ignored randomly by some crew.
In respect to the lights, I apologize as I think of my B777 flights. I haven't been on an AC B787 yet. (I know, it's odd, but they don't use them for my flights to HKIA & TYO) If you look at this picture of Mr. Makris, the tech writer, you will see the indicator lights in his selfie.

We all agree on the need for securing the cabin. However, safety is also a reflection of the passenger. The issues you raise are in large part due to passenger behavior. Pax do not listen. We have all seen the idiots on some routes rushing the aisles before the plane is stopped. I keep hoping we stop suddenly and one of those idiots smacks his head. We all know about the importance of seatbelts. I buckle up when sleeping. I'm pretty sure everyone else does too on this forum. And yet we have idiots who do not and then whinge when they get tossed when the plane hits some turbulence. What can the FA do? The announcements are made in the safety videos before takeoff and at landing. The FAs may go through the cabin, but the obligation to do so isn't there because the warnings are given in the videos. All the FAs really need do is to check the aisles and exit rows for debris and obstruction. The verification of passengers seats is an "extra" as part of good operating practice. The duty to behave responsibly rests with the passenger who has been informed by the video and by multiple on board announcements. If passengers do not wish to listen, well there isn't much that can be done.
Attached Images