FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unsecured cabin on landing/takeoff
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2016, 4:16 pm
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I'm curious how often AC lets the cabin land without securing it correctly.

Two out of two flights today my seat has the incorrect configuration for landing, and it's probably at least twice a week I encounter this.

AC isn't the only airline that has this issue. I'm not just talking like a slightly reclined seat. I'm talking, armrest completely up in J pod, tray table not stowed, etc. It is possible the prior pax made these config changes while deplaning, however that seems unlikely. Perhaps I'll chalk it up to that.

As I've said in another thread, I guess it only hinders the other pax in the case of emergency egress, but that was somewhat tongue and cheek. If someone is hindered when trying to egress, the additional stress will result in more trouble for other pax.

Takeoff is harder to control as some pax feel it's appropriate to recline or do other stupid things as soon as the FAs are strapped in.
The equipment gets in that configuration because;
1. It is broken and does not stay in place. Unusual, but I had a TV screen that wouldn't stay in place.
2. It was moved during cleaning before pax boarded and was not put back by the cleaner.
3.The passenger who sat there moved the item.

In the case of 3, what do you expect from a FA? They make the cabin pass through. The seat lights will be green if the seat is in landing position and red if not. On EVERY flight I have been on the FAs do stop and tell pax to fix seats or they do it themselves. You now what I do? I wait till the FAs are seated and cannot see me and I pop my TV open because I like to watch the map in the final 20 minutes. Why blame the airline when its the pax who misbehave? If you have an issue with my behaviour, come and tell me onboard. I would be delighted to share my views with you and to share 25 years of data on injuries associated with armrests and open J pod TV screens.

Here's a hint: The majority of injuries, that means in excess of 90%, are related to pax not being buckled up or overhead baggage not being properly secured or the bags themselves exceeding size and weight limits.

If you want to quibble over an arm rest, go for it. As for the seat, if it is not upright, the pax changed the seat after the final cabin check. There is nothing the FAs can do about that if someone wishes to do that. They cannot stop the plane and tell the person to get off, can they?