FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlightNurse
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tarlinian
I got a great deal on July 5th. I was returning from JFK-SFO on a ticket booked via miles redemption with a change in SLC. At SLC, after everyone had boarded, they said the plane was overweight and they needed 10 volunteers to get off and immediately offered $800 in compensation. I took in immediately and was then rebooked on a flight around 5 hours later (in Y+ instead of Y as well).

After 5 hours of killing time in the intensely boring SLC airport we finally are getting close to boarding that flight, and it turns out that flight is oversold, so they start asking for volunteers to get off for $500 + $30 meal voucher(s) + hotel. I happily took that and ended up being rebooked on the 3 pm flight the next day, which worked out great for me since it was easier to get picked up from the airport and I had this entire week off from work anyway. $1300 for a 1 day delay + a hotel is a pretty good deal for me.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if you can get hotel points, in this case it was a Sheraton, from stays where using a VDB hotel voucher?
Not too sure about DL, but gotten stay credits when I was flying a lot with SPG, I always had them put my # in the Res.. BTW, next time as for a Sky Club pass, no reason to sit with everybody else.