FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using MR points for vacation club properties
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:18 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We went through a phase a few years back where we had some successful (and very nice!) MVCI award redemptions. These days the categories/costs are higher and the availability is much thinner.

Now, if I want a timeshare-type stay, I just book it with cash. There are almost always good values to be found here, as long as you aren't trying to hit peak weeks. Sometimes Marriott.com rates are good; sometimes VRBO, Redweek, etc. are better.

I enjoy the MVCI brand, but find it mostly interchangeable with HGVC or SVO. Since loyalty programs hardly matter at these places, I just book wherever has the best unit for the money within one of these brands. Or I book an individual's condo or house via VRBO or Booking.com.

Only thing I *won't* do is stay at a lower-tier timeshare brand...some of those are pretty sketchy, plus you have to deal with their hard-sell salespeople calling your room or hounding you in the hotel lobby, even if you have no obligation whatsoever to take one of their tours.