Old Jul 6, 16, 11:47 am
globetraveler

Programs: UA Global Services, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Follow up report: return segment LHR-SFO July- A380

As a follow up to my outbound report, I wanted to share my takeaways from our return segments in BA Club World.

I will keep this report more brief, as most of the hard product review is covered in the report above. I was really hoping for a better experience on the return and more to come on that below.

Firstly and perhaps most importantly, the unfortunate reality is that BA's Club World hard product overshadows pretty much every element of their experience. Simply put, it's just plain awkward. For passengers paying upwards of $6k for these seats, they just don't deliver what you would expect for a world class product. Sad to say, I would even prefer United's current Business First experience to BA's Club World.

The seats are narrow, and this time I decided to take a window seat on the upper deck and let me partner take the aisle. The window seat is confined and difficult to exit given the fact that you have to climb over another passengers foot rest (this wasn't the case as we had the last row in the cabin but it was so tight that I had to really maneuver to get out. The seats are awkwardly wedged against the window, and the overhead lighting above the window area is horrid.

Speaking of lighting, BA needs to get this one right. They've paid for an extensive and modern lighting system aboard this A380, yet they use the "boarding" "factory" lights as I call them for nearly the entire flight. They are bright and downright unpleasant. Why can't BA use the softer blue lighting to create a nicer experience?

The cabin temperature was uncomfortably warm for nearly the entire flight- something that seemed to be intensified for the window seat. Again, there are NO air vents aboard BA's A380's and that makes it tough to get any sense of "fresh" air flow in the cabin.

The pillows are pretty pathetic as noted in my previous report, and the footrest config. is just weird.

BA does do a nice job with the starters (as pictured here in the report), and the main course, Chicken Tikka, was average in quality. The wine list was nearly identical to our outbound flight, however for July they have reverted back to Tattinger instead of Henriot which I thought was kind of interesting.

What did improve on our return however was the service. The flight attendants were much more thorough and pleasant, and seemed to be more attentive than out flight out of SFO. They took the time to tell us about the wines, and encouraged us to taste several which I thought was a nice touch.

All in all, we likely will not be flying BA again any time soon. Perhaps their First product is a big improvement given the more normal seat config., but I really had hoped BA would deliver something more special and unique.
Attached Images