FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Birthday...UA J Mileage Run? SFO-TPE-HKG-EWR-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-HNL-SFO
Old Jul 4, 16, 4:17 am
JVPhoto

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Sheraton Grand Taipei

Going between Marriott and SPG I didn't really know where to stay. All I knew about Taipei was the history from my polisci classes in school and watching the Anthony Bourdain Lay Over show a few months ago. Not sure of the areas or what was what I noticed The Sheraton was walking distance or 2 metro stops from The Brick House at Ximen which is the big gay area. I walked through there during the middle of the day and that was it. Everyone told me gay nightlife in Taipei is great...being tired and falling asleep most nights by 8pm and being able to "order in" on Grindr I didn't end up going out.

That said the hotel was nice. It exceeded my expectations of Sheraton which is based on Prague and Singapore. The lobby areas looked nice and fresh.

Big bed but needed an extra set of padding. Japanese bidet toilets.

Had my 9pm in room dinner and sleeping pill.

Buffet breakfast served at Kitchen 12 in the big atrium. Not bad at about $20 US. Decent selections of things, most of the hot dishes changed out each day to something new.

There's a few other restaurants in the hotel and a set of upscale shops below the lobby. My 3rd night I had a hankering for something I was familiar with so went to Pizza Pub to get some seafood soup and a margherita pizza.

Soup was good, I loathe head on shrimp.

Pizza wasn't bad, needed a little bit of salt and a few red pepper flakes.

The staff was friendly, a Hello Kitty wedding happened in the ballroom and Emirates also uses it as the crew hotel. If I ever came back (not sure I will), I would maybe stay at The W.