FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA: YVR-PTY in I/A class for ~US$600 rt
View Single Post
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:28 pm
craigthemif
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm confused by your post, a few things

a) it's definitely possible, for example i just picked random dates in February: has at least one way on LAX-JFK lie-flats, as well as JFK-MIA. If you play around with the routing you can probably get at least MIA-DFW lie-flats as well (the way back via JFK isn't possible in a day so I didn't bother looking)

b) routing via PHX is actually MORE convenient for those trying to earn TP's than via the LAX-JFK lie-flat since ex-PHX routings go into first and ex-LAX routings go into Biz, so... I think you're confusing things here? For TP-earning purposes, PHX-PHL is fantastic and usually cheaper than LAX-JFK routings even.
Thanks. To be fair, I'm not based in YVR, so have just been looking at a relatively small window in August 2016. But it's good to know that YVR-LAX onwards can be done and it's just my dates.

As far as PHX-PHL is concerned, I don't really want to go red-eye on those planes with such limited recline seats, so that means trying to catch a cheap 8am from YVR to connect on an afternoon flight to PHL. It is hard to move onwards from PHL that late at night so you have to budget for an airport hotel (which are relatively more expensive in PHL than elsewhere)

Via LAX you can go overnight on a proper bed and connect to MIA the next morning on an equally decent plane/seat. Giving up 70 TPs but, airfare being similar, saving on the hotel. Alternatively, you have several 2000+ mile options out of LAX that might price cheaply. PHX limits you to JFK, PHL and sometimes BOS... The Admirals Club lounges are also tiny and unappealing at PHX...