FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are Airbnb reviews reliable?
View Single Post
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:30 am
ritesa

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I have two different review standards for AirBnB depending on whether it's a "real" AirBnB (i.e. person renting a room in their home or their summer/vacation home) vs. the many "AirBnB hotels" that are professionally managed, often by an agent managing 10+ units and have been purchased for the sole purpose of being rented on AirBnB.

For the former I don't have as high expectations and will basically give 5* to any host who is making a good effort with no major deficiencies or inaccuracies in their listing. For the latter I hold them to the same standard as a hotel and will review harshly if the place obviously hasn't been cleaned since the last guest, if the furniture/bedding/kitchenware is inadequate or isn't clean, if communication is poor and they are not available to answer questions, etc.

For example, if I am renting an extra bedroom from someone in their home, I don't expect their entire home to be in the same state of industrial cleanliness as a hotel. However, if I'm renting what is effectively a hotel suite from a professional property manager, it's absolutely unacceptable to have dirty dishes in the cupboards. Likewise, when dealing with a "real" host, they may be unavailable at certain times of day for example if they are at work. When dealing with a full-time property manager, they had better pick up the phone when I call and if not, return the call immediately, the same as a hotel front desk.
Exactly. One of the best-thought-out posts I've ever read on FT.