FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Plotting a National Parks trip...resources/advice?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:20 am
Gardyloo
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by pinniped
Awesome...thanks. I was actually shocked to find rooms available at the Old Faithful Inn (albeit in what appears to be the oldest building with no en suite bathrooms). But it sounds like basing there for 3 days wouldn't be ideal because we'd be driving in the park too much? Other lodging also had rooms...luckily, it appears we *are* ahead of the biggest crowd by about 3-4 weeks.
People have very different approaches to visiting Yellowstone. Personally I actually prefer staying outside the park - Gardiner, West Yellowstone - and driving in, because accommodation is cheaper and dining choices way, way better. Yellowstone is very big, and being in the car is just a fact of life if you want to see various parts of the park. The Old Faithful Inn, like other "historic" concessions in other national parks, is picturesque and gorgeous in the common spaces, not so much in the guest rooms.

If you're limiting yourself to 10-12 days, and starting in some place with an airport and rental cars, like Billings, Bozeman or Rapid City, I'd probably allocate 3 days for driving, 1 in Grand Teton, 3 in Yellowstone, and 3-4 in the Black Hills - Badlands area, which - just in my view - has huge appeal because of its diversity.