FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:23 pm
Lucky7dawg

How do upgrades work?

I recently bumped up in status to Platinum. I had gold, but didn't take advantage of the upgrades too much (once or twice). I figured with Platinum my chances would increase dramatically.

I recently booked two flights W-F to chicago this week and next week.

I requested an upgrade using my 500 mile upgrade allotment. I havent received it for my wednesday flight but would check how many seats were open and only saw 1. I did notice some bulk head seats cleared up so I figure they got the upgrades. I cant complain with an exit row seat and no one in front of me though.

Now I am in the 72 hour range for my Friday flight as well. I have checked the status of that flight and see 9 open seats in first class. I assume I would clear but it's weird to me that I haven't cleared yet. Any idea on the timeframe that I typically would clear? I would worry if it got to 24 hours because then gold members could potentially clear as well.

Can someone explain to a newb, how exactly this works? If I haven't cleared by tomorrow night, do you think I should call AA or would they laugh at me?