FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA: You don't have to take off your shoes
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:51 pm
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fenito:
I hate when people try to say things in a politcal polite way....heres from a screener....if you don't take off your shoes...you toy with the option of either setting off the walk-through metal detector or being selected for further screening....its totally up to you though...at our airport we only suggest....never force though...we've always done this</font>
I'm glad the press release went out, but I'd be willing to bet I'll still come across inconsistent policies at different airports.

I often wear sandal's when traveling (no metal at all) and often I am told to take them off [insert reason of the day] even when I insist there is no metal in them.

If it wasn't for Reid and his shoe bomb, I doubt any of this shoe business would be going on. I beg to ask what will happen when some terrorist or idiot like Reid starts concealing items in private body areas and gets caught?

"Sir: Shoes off, pants down, and spread your cheeks"

If a scumbag like Reid attempts to do this, would the above scenario become a reality? I ask this seriously, as all it took was Reid & one shoe bomb to start all this silly shoe business.

As far as the shoe business, it's of my opinion if your shoes don't set off the metal detector, you shouldn't get penalized with a secondary screening. In addition to my sandals (which are comfy for travel), I've purchased metal-free shoes just for travel, but often I am forced to take them off for x-ray despite the fact I don't trip the walk through metal detector.

I've even had these shoes and my sandal's wanded (no beeping) & still put through the x-ray machine. It would seem to me the threat of another shoe bomb is small (but possible) & too much time is being spent with this silly shoe business. Many of us that travel on a regular basis know whether or not our shoes will make it through the "arch" -- and many people have purposely bought shoes without metal for the specific purpose of travel after the silly shoe business started.

It was my hope I'd get through the checkpoint faster and at the same time making things easier for the TSA by wearing metal free shoes -- but instead I often get screwed around when wearing the metal free shoes I purchased to make travel easier.

If I'm wearing shoes & know there is metal in them, I'll gladly take them off prior to going through the "arch" if the floor is clean. If I'm wearing my Teva's (sandal's) or a pair of metal free shoes, I should be able to walk through and continue on without the "shoe/sandal police" dicking me around. IMHO, of course.

Best,

SDF_Traveler

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin