FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A magical trip to Iceland on the WOW air inaugural (WW/FI/AS Y)
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:24 pm
puls

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Icelandair 681, Keflavík International (KEF) to Seattle-Tacoma International (SEA)
June 15th, 2016
5:00 pm–5:45 pm
Boeing 757-200 TF-ISD “Snæfellsjökull”
Seats 10D/F (Economy Comfort class)

After exiting passport control through the gift shop, we walked through the international concourse.

With a bank of a dozen flights leaving all within twenty minutes of each other, the concourse was a massive swarm of people at every gate, all boarding at the same time.

Boarding started at least 20 minutes late, with the whole swarm moving towards the bus in unison.

I’ve seen more interesting tarmac drives than this.

Tarmac boarding to door 2L.

Legroom shot.

Almost no foot space at all, between the large IFE box and the fold-down screen for the exit row in front of me.

Brand new high-definition IFE, with just a touchscreen, power button, USB charger, and headphone jack. The right way to do it.

Nothing to see on taxi, and the views on takeoff ended abruptly when we left the country about ten seconds after taking off.

I started up a classic Nordic movie that I somehow hadn’t seen yet.

After about 45 minutes, the meal service started. There was a buy-on-board service for all of economy, with all of the prices dropped to zero for the three rows of Economy Comfort.

This beer is the best beer I’ve ever had onboard a plane.

Snacks.

A really cool feature of the plane is the LED mood lighting, installed in strips above the luggage bins and projecting a northern lights-esque motif on the ceiling of the plane.

Four hours later, another snack service.

Between the IFE and an iPad full of content, the flight passed in no time.

The descent took us over downtown Seattle, with amazing views of the city in the late afternoon.

We landed in SEA about half an hour late, made it through Global Entry in no time flat, and had to wait forever and a day for our bags. We went to the transfer desk for onward boarding passes.

The review

We had a great flight on Icelandair. I can’t decide if Economy Comfort was worth an extra $160+ per person, though I suppose that the extra space was quite substantial and the lounge access was quite nice to have, even if we spent less than an hour in the lounge.

This is a strange question of differential pricing and economics, I guess; $160 seems like a lot to have paid for the upgrade, but the original difference at booking was far more than that.

Come to think of it, one other side effect of upgrading was crediting 125% mileage to Alaska instead of the 50% we originally would have gotten; those extra 2700 miles per person are probably worth some decent part of the upgrade cost.