FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What should an AA refugee know about switching to DL?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:18 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Lots of great info, thanks!

...if only we actually got free snacks. Most FA's look at you like you're green.

I'll mostly buy C+ so not too worried about it being a separate class.

Seems reasonable, and perhaps a reason to get the reserve card as my method of entry in to the Sky Club vs. just purchasing a membership?

If I understand correctly for Y->F upgrades, priority is by level then Y,B,M,then C+ (W)?

From what I've heard, online SDC actually works on DL. AA recently also banned SDC if your connecting city changes (e.g., if you're booked AAA-CLT-BBB, you can't SDC to AAA-PHL-BBB without paying change fees + fare diff). This was actually the last straw for me as I spent an extra 3-4 hours waiting around on my last two trips because of this.

Is there a way to set your profile to show closest times or lowest fares first?

Also, how does one identify a broken fare?
You can't set this in your profile. You must continually re-do it even when you just go back in a search or change some other search parameter slightly.

The only way to identify broken fares for sure is to look at the fare constuction, but it's a dead giveaway when you see different fare classes being offered in the same direction. Often in such cases if you do advanced search by fare class and select a higher fare class, you will be offered the same flights for a *lower* total unbroken fare.

Remember that a SC membership allows access when you're flying another carrier/alliance. To access SCs with a Reserve card or with the AmEx regular Plat/Centurion charge card, you must be flying DL, with codeshares not being allowed sometimes. I'd still suggest picking a card for access based on its other benefits since as soon as you qualify for DM, you'll get the SC membership for free.