FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please do not lock your luggage
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2003, 8:39 am
tazi

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tmspa:
It is impossible for the owner to be present all the time. Many large airports conduct baggage screening in the bowels of the airport (much like a factory setting). These areas are not accessible by the general public. Could you just imagine saying to an ederely disabled lady, "excuse ma'am, could you come with me?". And then taking her all the way down to a loud, hot, dusty area filled with large conveyor belts and big machines, asking her to please wear ear protection for her safety and then trying to resolve the alarm and ensure that she is completely aware of what is actually taking place.

Yeah, that'll happen. Ha, Ha!

</font>
Yes, I can imagine it if the little old lady had no objections. I certainly wouldn't. It is my understanding that the installation of these machines is temporary and the next step is to integrate them with the baggage handling system. At the very least, when this is done it should be done in a way that will allow passengers to be present for the searches. It is also my understanding that they have managed to do so in London airports. Perhaps the tSA should take a lesson from them.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Yeah, that'll happen. Ha, Ha!</font>

I don't find this situation to be the least bit funny. Perhaps after you have had your belongings mishandled by a TSA baggage screener you may not either. And in my case, it was definitely a screener, not a baggage handler.

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 02-15-2003).]