FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lisbon Bus/Taxi Help
View Single Post
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:35 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by imm2b
Thanks IAN-UK and Palal for your tips.

I have a Spain mobile SIM, but that wouldn't be helpful anyway since I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish. It sounds like my best option is the taxi rank at Arrivals? Should I even attempt to catch a taxi at Departures? What is the typical taxi cost from Airport to Tivoli Lisboa?
Probably best not to do the departure thing - now there's no legit rank, hopping in a recently vacated cab is possibly illegal, and certainly against the airport's regulations.

The arrivals taxi rank is straightforward. The queue is well marshalled, moves quickly, and it's entirely possible you'll get a taxi driver who isn't intent on fleecing you

OK, I'm exaggerating - most taxi trips from the airport are uneventful. But as your driver will have been waiting a considerable time in the taxi pool, he'll be disappointed you're not going to Estoril, Sintra or Timbuctu.

It's not simply a tourist/visitor "thing": I'm perfectly at home in Lisbon and fluent in the language but I've still had a couple of nasty taxi experiences - though only on trips from the airport.

Just make sure the meter is on: in theory he (or she) shouldn't be able to avoid this, but ....

And make sure he recognises he's taking you to the Tivoli Lisboa. The fare should be something like EUR15: I think there's still a EUR1.60 supplement for luggage, but even with that and a very generous tip it's a max of $20.

There may still be the alternative of purchasing a fixed-price taxi voucher from the tourism/information desk. But that entails paying a significant premium for peace of mind, and it can be something of a faff getting one.

PS the Tivoli is a good choice, well-located, classic hotel. Enjoy!