FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:14 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good Morning everyone! The sun is up, the mountain is out and the internet is also up and running - What a day so far!

So I drove up to Fairbanks yesterday and accessed a couple of OAGs relevant to this set of questions. As you well know, OAGs can be bulky and heavy. Four (including a pocket OAG) were used to compile this group of 50 questions and rather than lug all four up and down the highway with me each week, I'll often take just one or two.

When I create these questions, I type out the answer alongside on the master sheet. Well then, imagine my surprise and chagrin to discover that on Question 6:

6. In mid-1992, passengers desiring nonstop transport between Anchorage and Honolulu were limited to this once a week, Saturday only flight. Identify the airline and aircraft involved.

I had listed the answer as a UA DC-8-71

I put that answer in bright red to highlight how glaringly wrong it was.

The correct answer should have been:

Hawaiian Air D8S

As such, kudos go out to JoeDTW who correctly identified Hawaiian Air on his first go round way back in post 9263. Although he listed a DC-10 at that time, per the schedule the aircraft is listed as a D8S, which could have been either a -62 or -63 variant.

While in a perfect world one would always be 100% correct in compiling a set of 50 questions, mistakes occasionally happen. I'd like to think they're extremely rare but if anyone here feels otherwise, I would be happy to double check any past questions and answers of concern - something eminently doable as all of my questions are based off of OAGs I have in my possession.

In any event, I am sorry for the error on this one, especially as many of you have patiently submitted a variety of answers to this question over the past week, all of which I've indicated were wrong.

And now, on to the remaining questions

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 17, 2016 at 9:25 am