FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:57 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 712: IAD to SFO
June 9, 2016
Boeing 737-900, Snack

I'm frequently on the ~8pm westbound as it allows a full day of work and gets me home by midnight. This month, I got "snack trapped" as they pushed departure out to 8:05pm. The actual flight left at 9, but that's another story. Figured I'd report back on what passes for snacks these days.

After being stuck on the plane for 20 minutes watching pax board with the APU off (so no air conditioning), things were getting kind of stuffy and my nose was full of smell from the guy behind me with a pizza (no trust in the snack service, I guess). A cold (surprisingly and delightfully so) PDB of prosecco helped to ease me into the flight.

As an aside, has sparkling wine always been catered domestically? I had a seatmate order it a couple months ago who gave me a "look" when I was surprised about it. Since then I've been a regular consumer, but so far transcons only.

Name:  20160609_215033_scale.png
Views: 1074
Size:  440.1 KB

In place of the usual nuts, we were served the Zesty Ranch Mix which I assume is what you have to endure if you're stuck in Y. I'm not predisposed to packaged snacks, but it was.. awful. I forced myself to open the package and confirm my suspicions, but I only managed about three pieces before drinking deeply to rid my mouth of the taste. Needless to say, the rest was cleared away uneaten.

Name:  20160609_220816_scaled.png
Views: 1072
Size:  443.0 KB

Based on earlier reports, I was expecting a calzone, but tonight's snack was this hamburger. Pretzel bun (mmm) and burger, with arugula and red onion on the side. No cheese, but I sort of assumed the rest were meant as toppings. Ketchup and mustard also provided, and a Godiva truffle was plated with the burger for dessert. The burger was pretty decent, although I must say it was quite a lot of food for a "snack"! I tried to eat some dinner before my flight, so I was pretty stuffed afterwards - it felt like almost as much as a full meal.

Already forgotten, but pretty sure there was no arrival cookie, either.