FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Americans and Cuba Travel - the Facts, Resources, Related Experiences [only]
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:03 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by diver858
Looking for something between amazing and expensive diving on a trip of a lifetime and anchored liveaboards that take you to blah, overcrowded sites - at least for our first trip. Wife does not do well on the water, reluctant to take her on a liveaboard, would also like to get in at least one day of road bicycle riding (30 - 60 miles).

Did a quick online search for Michael Aw Cuba diving, stumbled on to an organization that will arrange custom Cuba tours for as few as 2 people - http://oceandoctor.org/cuba-travel-program/#customtrip. Understand it won't be cheap, but I am willing to pay a premium if it helps avoid complications upon our return.

Comments?
This seems both legitimate (Washington, D.C. based, has proper OFAC licensing, etc.) and interesting. I'd definitely trust these folks!

Not at all like my friends who used ScubaCan in Canada and got hoisted by the U.S. authorities for writing about their scuba diving in Cuba. (Yes, they did.)

P.S. My wife is susceptible to motion sickness as well, and we've done a number of liveaboards. We always take crystallized ginger (or ginger in any form) on the recommendation of Ron Storro-Patterson, who has spent many rough hours off the California West Coast - e.g. "The Potato Patch" out of San Francisco Bay - while researching whales.