Old Jun 11, 16, 3:36 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by arubalad View Post
have seen blogs saying that all American passports are now being stamped when you enter Cuba and others saying that you can still get a piece of paper stamped in lieu of passport. Anyone have up-to-date info?
Here's the real deal: in the old days, they gave you a separate visa on a paper most of the time. In those days for some unknown reason my passport was stamped twice, on separate pages, on one exit at HAV, even as other Americans' passports were not stamped.

No problem. I was there legally, I declared to USCBP, and though I think I recall being asked a couple of questions about my visiting Cuba by USDHS during my Global Entry renewal application interview, they seemed to be more interested in my recent travel to Romania, Turkey and Ukraine than Cuba (one of the first three triggered my being called in for an interview, rather than being granted renewal using the GOES website.

Today, the Cuban authorities will most likely stamp your visa into your passport.

When you arrive in the USA, DO declare Cuba on the U S Customs form 6059B. The USCBP officers generally do not care or give it a second thought. But failing to disclose your travel to Cuba? That's a violation of 18 U. S. Code § 1001, commonly called "making false statements", punishable by up to eight years in Federal Prison.

18 U.S.C. § 1001 link

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—
(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;
(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or
(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. If the matter relates to an offense under chapter 109A, 109B, 110, or 117, or section 1591, then the term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be not more than 8 years.
Remember Rod Blagojevich, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Bernard Madoff, Jeffrey Skilling or Martha Stewart? They went to prison because they were found guilty of violating 18 U.S.C. § 1001. Definitely not worth the risk - particularly if you have or desire US Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, etc. because even if you don't get draconian persecution you will lose the right to these.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 11, 16 at 4:34 pm