FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:29 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
10. (1992) If you wanted to take advantage of Fifth Freedom rights to fly foreign carriers within North America, Montreal probably offered more options than any other city on the continent. Let’s examine just a couple here: Identify the two foreign airlines operating between Montreal and Chicago. While you’re at it, go ahead and identify which type of aircraft each airline operated on the route.
C'mon now - Montreal to Chicago! Maybe the ultimate 5th Freedom route in North America over the years. Both airlines are European...

Maybe I am remembering it wrong but didn't BA operated a YUL 5th to either DTW or ORD? I'd say on 763.

BA definitely operated a YUL-DTW flight and I also seem to recall (perhaps incorrectly) them also operating a VC10 on the YMX-ORD route in the 1960s.

However, we're now looking at 1992 and BA is not one of the two airlines operating the YUL-ORD route. Please - guess again!

16. At this time there are four foreign airlines that enjoy Fifth Freedom rights between Los Angeles and Mexico City. Identify each airline and the aircraft it flies on this route.
LACSA A320 and Malaysian 747-400 identified so far... As well as Aerolineas Argentinas with a 747-200. The other airline operated narrow bodied equipment and was from South America.

Wild stab. PL (AeroPeru) 757-200

Whoooosh! Alas, I believe jlemon nominated AeroPeru on this route as part of his answer upthread somewhere. As a hint, the airline we're looking for is from a country quite near to Peru.

22. Identify the airline that – as of early 1994 - flies mainline jets into more Colorado cities than any other. While you’re at it, identify those Colorado cities as well.

CO, GJT for one?

Continental did indeed serve Grand Junction with mainline jets though so far as I know GJT had by 1994 become a Continental Express destination. Let me get back to you on this. I want to double check because if - in early 1994 - CO was still serving its usual winter seasonal destinations, the addition of GJT would definitely put them in the conversation. I'll be home tonight and will post a response tomorrow.