FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:46 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Ideally, this is a quiz where we give our best educated guess. Some people here are clearly pretty good at it - to the extent that if they don't know the exact answer, they're likely to work it out eventually. As for using the internet or turning to schedules - I can only imagine that would take a lot of the fun out of it. I look at how often I've submitted the wrong answer and yet through gentle prompts and occasional hints it's always an enjoyable and informative journey to arrive at the correct answer.
My position wrt to internet research has evolved during the course of the past 4.5 years since you started this thread. My original position was "only answer questions that you 90% clear about". However, as we got into some of the more challenging question sets, I realized that many questions were sufficiently challenging to prevent nearly all of us without timetables in hand to even ascend to the "educated guess" stage.

But, with a little help from Google, it's possible for us to enter the ring, and learn a lot in the process. For example, when you asked questions about 727-100 operators on various routes, wiki helped me establish the playing field...and, I learned a lot during the process. Similarly, reading up on defunct airlines is also enjoyable for me.

What I like most about most of the questions here, is that they are simply unanswerable via straight up Google searches (impressive on the part of the askers, including yourself).

In light of the fact that the internet is here to stay, and FT is internet based, I suggest that you permit us to use Google in cases in which we are clueless.