FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Absolutely no changes to tickets with GUCs after purchase?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:31 pm
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP, you are on an international itinerary. So changes to routing would be subject to fare rules, including change fees and fare differences.

This is not like award fares, where you can call and change when availability opens up. Once you purchase the ticket, you can only change routing in the case there is a delay, cancellation, schedule change etc. without charge.

Also, in my experience, once a GUC has been redeemed and you have been reticketed in business, that's it - the GUC T&C states that you cannot have it back under any circumstances (unless, as huskerchad has commented, you can exchange with another flight with immediately availability in OP class, due to delays, cancellations, schedule changes, etc.). Of course, YMMV depending on whom you talk to and the exact circumstances; I am just quoting the official rules and opining on your case thus far (I don't imagine them having much sympathy because you prefer different equipment, given they haven't changed it since you've booked, and the GUC T&Cs are publicly available).

DM agents have also always told me to wait until after the risk-free cancel period to redeem a RUC or GUC to make sure you didn't want to cancel the flights, as the certificates would be surrendered. To me, and per the GUC T&Cs I've quoted below, it seems like you are stuck with your current itinerary, unless you wish to cancel and also lose the GUCs you already redeemed.

"3. Refunds & Cash Value: This certificate is non-refundable and has no cash value. Certificate will be deemed fully used upon surrender and will not be honored retroactively or in connection with the exchange of any wholly or partially unused ticket. Ticket refunds are permitted only pursuant to the rules of the fare purchased. Any full or partial refund of the underlying Main Cabin fare ticket after upgrade will render this certificate void.

14. Changes: Voluntary changes in reservations on ticketed itineraries are permitted only pursuant to the rules of the fare purchased, but upgrade is not guaranteed and will depend on availability and these terms and conditions. Where permitted, changes may require payment of a change fee and/or any difference in the applicable fare. Any refund or cancellation will result in the loss of the upgrade certificate. All reissues must be completed by Delta reservations. If you are re-accommodated on another carrier you will be seated in Main Cabin."

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html