FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Enhancing the FT Flight Connect flight meet-up tool
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:23 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
May I bring the attention back to Flight-connect?

I believe a well-working global meet-up function is something that is in the true spririt of FlyerTalk.

I tried to dig up some history and apparently there was a initeraries-details forum that once was quite active, but was replaced by flight-connect. However, flight-connect wasn't good enough (and still isn't) so the effect of closing it was that meet-up discussions moved to local fora as described in this post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12385348-post10.html

And after the recent closure and revamping of the BA meet-up-thread, there seems to be a trend of adding similar threads to other local fora. So there certainly is an interest in having meet-ups, but the current drive is to handle this locally in each sub-fora.

I do see the need for local meet-up threads/wikis. Many FT'ers might have established relations with other FT'ers through their mutual home carrier program fora and are likely to cross roads at some points, as they fly that carrier through its hub. A way to facilitate meet-ups on local level is nice.

But travel is global and local meet-up threads/wikis are not helpful when it come to connecting with FT'ers I have not yet formed an internet-relationship with or for those pesky long layovers in cities I never go to.

I still believe the flight-connect calender could work, if we only made it easier to use.