FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:47 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
4. A thorough perusal of the schedules reveals that during the mid-summer of 1992, only one airline was operating mainline jet equipment into Tampa’s St. Petersburg International Airport (PIE), operating four flights a week from an unnamed American city. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the city of origin for these flights.

This sure seems like the sort of airport American Trans Air would have served out of IND, with 727-100s

Your intuition serves you well, Joe. And correctly, I might add. ATA it was with 727-100 service from Indianapolis.

14. Identify the only city in Montana receiving jet flights that does not have any nonstop interstate jet services.

I'll go with Helena, which, despite being the state capitol, is (like Pierre) such a small town that it has limited air service.

A good choice but alas, not the correct choice. Please - guess again!

39. In most cases, travel during the “Good Old Days” was vastly superior to what passes as quality air transport these days. An exception however might be made on the Pittsburgh to Montreal route. At least in late 1997, that is. In the old days this route was flown aboard a Nordair 737-200. Nowadays you have the option of flying between Pittsburgh and Montreal aboard a foreign airline that’s taking advantage of its 5th Freedom rights. A snack is even served - if you’re in First Class. Boy oh boy – this sure beats a US Air DC-9-30! Identify the airline taking advantage of 5th freedom rights on this route as well as the aircraft it flies.

A British Airways 767-336, which continued on to LHR.

British Airways is correct, however per the schedule I referenced the aircraft was listed as a 747 (assumedly a -236). It makes sense that a 763 was likely employed on this route at some point - perhaps seasonally.

As an aside, on Tuesday night / Wednesday morning I had to spend my first night in an airport, because my 7 PM AA flight from DTW to ORD left DTW at 2 AM, arriving ORD (with a time change) at 2:14 AM, and the earliest AA could get me home to MSP was 10:10 AM. DTW's North terminal was at least bearable, because the TVs turned off at 11:30 PM, but at ORD, the TVs continued at full volume all night, making any sort of rest impossible. Seat 2A, you would NOT have been happy!

You're right! I have found a couple of gates down on the L Concourse that are not only TV free but are also far enough from other TV equipped gates that one can get a peaceful night's rest (so long as the gate isn't assigned an early departure). Otherwise, I know of a couple paces down by United's baggage claim area that are pretty quiet.