FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:28 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It's a beautiful morning here in Denali National Park - quite a change from last night when rain and even a spot of thunder ruled the skies. I do apologize to moondog for not getting to the below question last night but alas, my (our) internet connection went down. Thank goodness it's up and running this morning. Now then...

Originally Posted by moondog
15. Once upon a time, Nantucket, MA was the beneficiary of DC-9 jet flights from the likes of Northeast and New York Air. These days (1992), Nantucket is served by just a single jet flight. Identify the airline, the equipment and the route.

Nantucket jet service in 1992 ~ I'm going with Business Express, BAe-146, JFK

Per jlemon: Well, I thought about this as well... However, I do not think Business Express received their first BAe 146-200 aircraft until 1994.....which was an interim measure ahead of their Avro RJ-70 deliveries.

Per moondog: In that case, I'm going with Continental to Newark on a DC9-30. Rationale: Continental Express ran some of its largest turboprops on that route,, and I vaguely recall seasonal up gauges. There were no regional jets back then, and I don't think ACK has ever seen 737 or a320 service.

moondog is correct with his first response. At least in terms of aircraft. It was indeed Business Express - flying a BAe-146 on behalf of Delta Connection.

You can find Business Express Fleet History HERE

As to the route, the flights operated between Nantucket and Boston.

Regarding the missing city from Question 8 (AA's routes to San Juan), LAX is not the city we're looking for. Back in the seventies Delta used to operate a late night DC-8-61 in both directions on the LAX-SJU run, but I don't believe any other airline has ever provided nonstop service on that route since.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 4, 2016 at 11:38 am