FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Splurge weekend (AF / EY F cabin + Grosvenor/St. Regis stay)
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:51 am
kevinflyaway

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Splurge weekend (AF / EY F cabin + Grosvenor/St. Regis stay)

I started my trip report last year, right after. But didn't finish it. Bad me! Today decided to finish it!

----

Time for my first TR. Been a lurker for quite some times now and learn many useful tips/tricks here

Last year I decided with my best friend to take 'the trip of a lifetime'. We found an miles trip in F to Dubai and then thought about flying the new KL Dreamliner C cabin on the way back. The VIP Centre in Amsterdam was a very nice thing to try.

Then I read the Points Guy about ET F cabin booked with AAdvantage miles. I had enough Starwood points, so transferred them to AA, canceled the KL part and the trip was booked in F both ways

As a last plan I decided to book best rated hotels in Dubai and Abu Dhabi for the only 3 nights we were there. All booked with great BRG rates ^^

As a last surprise the new F lounge in AUH was opening 1 day before our trip, so in total lots of new ground to cover.

1. VIP Centre Amsterdam
2. AF F lounge @ CDG
3. AF F cabin CDG - DXB
4. Grosvenor House (with a nice upgrade to a 2 bedroom apartment)
5. St Regis Saadiyat Island (with a fantastic upgrade to an Ocean Suite )
6. EY new F lounge @ AUH
7. EY F cabin AUH - LHR

SOME FACTS
AF miles spend: 260.000 Flying Blue Miles+ € 424,38
AA miles spend: 80.000 AAdvantage Miles (!!) + € 190,12

This was for 2 persons and before both AF and AA miles needed went up. Today the AF trip would cost you 320.000 Flying Blue miles and 125.000 AAdvantage Miles.

O...and the total trip would take us 4 days. Had much fun about it before the trip, thought about not doing it again after Next time will just plan a nice week abroad to recuperate.

We got some nice upgrades at both hotels and the rides to/from the airport also A+. In the end we really had the Splurge weekend that we intended to have.

Total trip (flights+upgraded rooms) was worth near € 30.000,-, we paid just under € 2.000,- + miles

Last edited by kevinflyaway; Jun 4, 2017 at 11:47 am