FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:38 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
19. You are enjoying a nice late winter afternoon in Spokane, Washington when friends call and ask if you’d care to join them on a road trip along Route 66 through the Mojave Desert. The timing is a bit sudden – they’re leaving from their home in Santa Monica tomorrow morning – but as luck would have it the one and only nonstop flight from Spokane to LAX departs in a couple of hours at 6:35pm. Identify the airline and the aircraft operating this flight.

I'm pretty sure that Alaska Air did indeed provide nonstop service from Spokane to Los Angeles later in 1994 (hey, I worked for them back in the day).....but AS obviously was not doing so earlier in 1994. And then I remembered a new start up airline that eventually caught the eye of Southwest which subsequently acquired them: Morris Air (KN). So let's go with Morris Air operating a B737-300 in all coach configuration.

Yes Sir! Morris Air it was with a single daily 737-300 flight. Morris Air was founded by David Neeleman - perhaps best known in the U.S. for his involvement in the creation of JetBlue. He went on to found Brazil's Azul Airlines, of which he is currently CEO. Additionally he is part of a consortium that controls 61% of TAP Portugal.

20. If you live in Milwaukee and want to fly nonstop to Florida over the winter, this airline offers the only daily nonstop flights to Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, Orlando and Tampa. Identify the airline.

Another thought occurred to me concerning Milwaukee: it's not that far from Indianapolis (IND). And IND was the home of American Trans Air a.k.a. ATA Airlines (TZ) which was known for wintertime seasonal flights to such warm destinations as Florida. Thus, I'll guess this was ATA operating B727-200 equipment with an all Y cabin.

You're on a roll, JL! American Trans Air a.k.a. ATA Airlines it was, all flights being operated with 727-200 equipment. Included amongst them was one of the most colorfully liveried aircraft ever...

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2153/...fc1bf9d7_b.jpg

28. These days, American Eagle will fly you nonstop between Los Angeles and Eugene, OR aboard a CRJ-700. Back in early 1992, this route was serviced with a single nonstop flight aboard a different airline and aircraft. Identify both, please.

Hmmmm.....your heading says 1996 but your question states 1992. I'll guess you actually meant early 1996. If so, I recall an obscure little airline that we have previously discussed (and that I cussed...after flying with them in a very cramped all coach, six abreast cabin): TriStar (T3). I do recall TriStar operating nonstop BAe 146 service between LAX and EUG....so that's my final answer.

Thank you for the clarification, JL, and my apologies to all for the typo which - when typing up fifty or more questions - I am unfortunately susceptible to. As to the answer, TriStar it was! And yes, the BAe-146 is poorly suited to a 3-3 seating arrangement. I had the misfortune of experiencing this configuration on Aspen Airways' bright orange -146 as well as United Express' -200 (operated by Air Wisconsin). Thankfully, both flights were short - between Denver and Aspen, CO.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 3, 2016 at 12:00 pm