FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:27 am
PremExecSNA

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
IC Washington DC - The Willard

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Just OK

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked a King Deluxe with a AAA rate, and upgraded to a Willard Room.

How are the rooms?
The Williard Rooms are basically larger than usual standard rooms with a sitting area. Many come with impressive views (i.e. Monuments). Mine was an interior facing room with a distant view of the Lincoln Memorial.

The biggest oddity of all was the "new and improved" Sealy mattresses, as advertised in the room descriptions. Yes they may be new, but they are extra firm, with no appreciable pillow top or covering. I could literally feel the grooves and buttons in the mattress. I inquired about the mattresses with the front desk. They said they'd have Housekeeping check it out, but they never did. One of the things I love about IC is the normally luxurious and comfortable beds. I'm not sure who came up with this concept, but it clearly doesn't work. Eliminating the pillow top was probably a cost saving measure. Having stayed at this hotel over the last 10 years or so, the ugly signs of cost cutting are very obvious.

How is the exec. lounge?
None at this property

Did you receive a welcome gift?
No. Just standard fruit bowl and a bottle of Stone Cellars Cabernet (about $8/btl wine).

How was the minibar?
Well stocked with a variety of beverages and a split of Champagne

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
The Willard is a historic hotel and the location on Pennsylvania Avenue near all the major attractions is very convenient. Metro Center subway is just a block and a half away.
The hotel has a decent gym with a variety of newly installed cardio equipment and free and machine weights.

-Bad
Signs of deferred maintenance and a definite feel that management is cutting costs and staff are not on top of things. Like many aspects of this historic hotel, it is showing its wear and tear. I reported two separate issues (shorted "arcing" nightstand light and unbalanced machine at gym) and neither were fixed by the time I checked out 3 days later. Housekeeping was spotty and I had to call for service the second night. I did see some renovations going on and hope this is part of a larger hotel upgrade.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
The Willard has no Club Lounge, so the most important RA benefit they can offer is the room upgrade. There are some beautiful rooms and suites available at this property. Having stayed here for years, I regularly received 1 bedroom suites or the nicest Willard Rooms. The last few stays here have been unimpressive with only the very minimal allowed upgrade received.

Given the overall condition of the hotel and the normally high prices, I think there are much better options in Washington DC. Currently, the redemption rate for Rewards nights is 55K.

As a comparison, the Crowne Plaza Hamilton is right up the street and offers excellent Spire benefits. They are often priced 30-50 percent below the Willard, with modern, comfortable rooms and amenities. Other than the mini bar benefit, all things being equal, I'd go with the Hamilton.

Would you return?
Unless I get a rock bottom price per night (<$200), I'd stay at one of the other IHG properties nearby (The Hamilton or the HI Washington Central White House).