FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:37 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
12. If you want to fly aboard a 737-400 out of Albuquerque, there’s only a single flight departing each day. Identify the airline and the destination airport.
Hint: The flight did not operate to a US Air hub city

Well, I think there's a qualifier here: "directly" I'm pretty sure US once operated ABQ<-->PIT (and maybe even ABQ<-->CLT), but if demand had dropped off they may well have relegated my original home town to a "tag-on" from one of their Texas destinations (San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston)

As I understand it - "Nonstop" means exactly that. "Direct" means the flight eventually goes to wherever, but enroute stops are made with no change of plane. In other parts of the world, I believe some use the term "direct" to mean nonstop.

In any event, the flight in question does travel directly to Charlotte, NC. One enroute stop is made and that is of course what this question revolves around.

Now then, while San Antonio, Dallas and Houston all represent a well educated and forthright effort to come up with the city in question, unfortunately none of them is the city we're looking for. Please - deposit another quarter and guess again!

38. Awright then, so here you are enjoying a pleasant spring evening at your shack in Frog Holler, Virginia when an old cellmate calls and asks if you’d be willing to marry him and this biker chick he met last weekend. The wedding will be next weekend at a “quiet” ceremony on Montara Point, just over the hill from SFO and not too far from your old digs at San Quentin, either. He’s even found an outfit that’ll quickly ordain you as a minister (the http://www.subgenius.com/]Church of the Sub-Genius[/url], no less) and better yet, he’s even come up with the means to pay for your airfare out and back aboard a post deregulation carrier that offers a single almost daily one stop flight between IAD and SFO aboard an aging 737-200.

Whaaaaat? A 737-200?! You explain that a reformed hijacker like yourself would never consider crossing the country on anything less than a 757-200, even for a wedding! Your protestations carry no sway with him though, especially after he reminds you that he had your back on more than one occasion during the occasional yard scuffle as well as those two prison riots. Besides, he was unable hack into the systems of any of those larger airlines that fly big planes like 757s. Well… alright then.

Now then, can you identify the airline and the intermediate stop before you finish your bottle of Old Crow and teeter off to bed? G’wan, now…

Me thinks this was Vanguard Airlines, via their Kansas City hub

jrl767, you Da Man!!! Vanguard Airlines and Kansas City are correct! Here's the schedule:

NJ 201 Dept. IAD 7:00am Arr. MCI 8:24am Dept. MCI 9:00am Arr. SFO 10:49am
Equipment: 737-200
Frequency: X7