FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat
Old May 30, 2016, 7:38 am
YZF_Elite

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
From the article: "Air Canada told Go Public in an email there is no conclusive medical evidence specifically linking deep vein thrombosis with flying."

A very easy position to take, as long as there is a single dissenting voice. Heck, we're still debating whether smoking causes cancer. AC has seen fit to mention DVT on its website in the 'special needs - medical' section. It doesn't go so far as to say flying causes DVT, but I interpret its inclusion as a tacit acknowledgment that sitting for extended periods at the very least exacerbates a pre-existing condition. It's a stretch to claim there is no link between flying and DVT, unless we intend to be hyper-literal. Sure, it ain't the flying that causes/worsens DVT, but sitting in horrid Y seats is certainly a factor for those at risk to get it - regardless if there is air between the wheels and the ground.
I'm not sure what meaningful difference 1" in leg-room would make when talking about DVT. It's a good thing he wasn't an ULH route. This is when it becomes painfully obvious that media outlets are looking for a story to publish vs doing their work to get a full picture. Of course AC didn't help themselves with the response. I would have responded that they don't comment on individual cases and they offer a product common in the industry. For their part, CBC should have made this story about possible complications from cramming cabins in the industry and how common LH / ULH flights have become. Irresponsible story all the way around and this guy gets his 15 mins of fame.