FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)
Old May 25, 2016, 11:20 pm
PremExecSNA

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Intercontinental sydney

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Somewhat

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked Deluxe City View room on corporate rate the first night and using the Chase Rewards Visa free night on second night. Sydney seems to have an option for RA's where you either get Club and the room you booked, or some unknown upgrade. I chose Club. They did not extend Club access to the second night, as it was a reward night. They indicated all other benefits were included though.

How are the rooms?

Standard size city room with comfortable bed and nice size bathroom with walk in shower.

How is the exec. lounge?

This is probably one of the more impressive club views in the IC system, with stunning vistas of the Harbor Bridge, Opera House, and Royal Botanical Gardens. Breakfast was a buffet with cooked to order egg options. Evening was standard alcholic drinks with hot canapes (all served by staff for portion control) and a buffet table with cheese, charcuterie, etc. Service was ok to spotty, and I had to ask for several items when staff forgot to bring them. The club lounge gets very busy and staff sometimes seemed to get overwhelmed. Note "Bad" comments below.

Did you receive a welcome gift?

I finally got bottled water and fruit on the second day. They also included a bottle of unremarkable Shiraz.

How was the minibar?
It looked to be decently stocked with a split of champagne and otherwise everyday wines. I only used the bottled water.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good

- There is a nice gymnasium with a variety of modern and traditional equipment

- The view in the Club lounge is spectacular

-Bad

As others have mentioned, Sydney seems to treat RA's as a nuisance, probably owing to the high number of people visiting and buring points or free nights. Despite the fact its consistent with the terms and conditions, it is rather odd to give club access on one night, then take it away the next. I had a rather pointed conversation with the manager about this. He said they were over capacity for the lounge, and would call back the next day to discuss if it was available. He never called and didn't respond to an email I sent after check out. I found it interesting that the desk agent was willing to "sell" me club access for 140AUD (discounted from the usual 220) for the second night. Aside from the ridiculous price, the manager's comment that they were over capacity didn't jibe with the agents offer to upsell. After the club closes to regular patrons at 8:30 PM, they open up the lounge to a late supper club, where anyone can attend and order drinks and food. This seems to be their main focus of the club lounge, rather than serving Club guests or RA's. Given the price of club access, I'd be better off paying for breakfast in the morning downstairs and then ordering off the menu with drinks later in the evening.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

Sydney does not offer some of the key RA benefits or upgrades on reward nights. As a price comparison for a paid stay, I could stay at a simliar or better room at the Holiday Inn Potts Point with a harbor view for half the price. With that savings, I could go out to a nice breakfast and dinner elsewhere.

Would you return?

Probably so due to the view. However, I wasn't feeling the hospitality on the second night. I remember staying at this hotel just ten years ago. I regularly received suite upgrades AND club access. Clearly, they have downgraded with a newer management team.

Last edited by PremExecSNA; May 25, 2016 at 11:41 pm