FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}
Old May 24, 2016, 7:37 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skycrab
Correct.

So, if you do cancel, the ticket will go to the inactive tab on: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...n/default.aspx

When you want to make use of the SEK 4016, you'll go here and click "Change Flight" and effectively make a new booking.

At this point, you'll pay the SEK 1200 fee.

If the new booking is less than SEK 4016, you'll get a refund by way of an e-Cert for the difference.

For what it's worth, SEK 1200 is about GBP 98, which to me, is very good for a K class change fee.
Change fees vary by market, and are usually similar to whatever competitors offer. Sounds like this ticket was booked in Sweeden, and my guess is that is the going penalty rate there. When I was living in India, I could book an L class fare back to the US, and I forget exactly what the change/cancel penalty was, but was something like $75 or $100. Would have been the typical $300 if I booked US-BOM-US instead.

One other note to the OP: The ticket is only valid from one year from date of issue, otherwise the value goes to zero. That is typical at least - I don't think I've seen exceptions to this. So make sure you rebook before 1 year after the date off purchase (I believe the ticket only has to be re-issued by then, not necessarily flown, but I'm sure others more knowledgable can confirm or comment).