FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar take 9.99% stake in IAG (BA Owners)
Old May 24, 2016, 1:52 am
Worcester

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
I don't think speculation for an IAG bid for Wizz should be dismissed out of hand.

Why? Former Vueling CFO Sonia Jerez Burdeus moved to Wizz (officially starts her new role June 1). And by having an ex-IAG airline senior executive moving to another LCC could be a masterstroke by way of having someone on the inside so to speak.

Also, profitable. FY estimate to the tune of around US$230m last year. More profitable than Vueling (I think?) And low debt and free cash flow of US$650m.

Importantly, IAG able to capture a huge share of traffic in Eastern Europe where it is currently underserved. It could consolidate IAG's LCC portfolio from Spain and Italy in Southern Europe to conquer Eastern Europe.

Plus fleet commonality of A320s. Not so sure about common fleet for engines though.

Wizz air is actually based in Jersey and listed on the London Stock Exchange and most of it shares seem to be in free float. There are a couple of analyst reports which suggest that Wizz Air may put itself up for sale so the investors can cash out. So sounds like it's"in play" and IAG could bid for it. Not sure if other companies may also be interested.

But I suspect IAG have their hands full with interrogating EI for the moment.