FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ
Old May 21, 2016, 10:58 pm
echyde

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
I am hoping someone with much more AA experience than myself can tell me how to handle a similar situation in the future.

Was doing a MR today. BHM-CLT-PHX-YVR returning next day YVR-DFW-MIA-BHM.

My BHM-CLT flight went mechanical before boarding. Initial estimate was a minimum of a one hour delay. Would cause a misconnect CLT-PHX (it actually ended up much worse than an hour delay). I called the Platinum desk and the agent switched me to a BHM-MIA-SEA on my outbound. I was still going to be about 200 MQMs short of what I needed (AA gave me Plat a few months back but I wasn't flying much at that time), and after trying various configs the rep asked me if rebooking in Y would help me. Obviously... of course, I took him up on that.

I asked for him to request 500 mile upgrades on all flights. He did. Almost immediately got an email saying SEA-DFW had cleared for my inbound. When I checked the upgrade standby list I wasn't on it. I guess he didn't request it as I was already checked in. I call back before I left BHM, the agent was extremely confused saying my upgrade was already requested, I clarified I was referring to standby for the upgrade, and she said I had knocked it out using the AA app. I explained I had not changed anything, but that my original itinerary was changed. She said she added me after waiting for about 5-10 minutes while she spoke to someone.

Landed in MIA at D3 I believe. Refreshed the app. Not on the list. As I only had an hour connection I ran to the train and got over to D49 where my flight was leaving from. Stopped at the closest restaurant and ordered food. In the interim I immediately went to the gate. Literally as I walk up they announce a gate change to D4... back to the other side of the terminal. The GA originally tried to act like she didn't speak English. But I speak Spanish so that game ended quickly. She told me she was doing some stuff on the previously departed flight (had left about 20 minutes previously) so she couldn't add me to the standby. Said I had to go to D4.

I ran, got my food to go, and went back to the train. Went to the GA for my flight and she was confused like the original phone agent. Finally got her to add me. I was number 1 of 3 on the list, but boarding started 5 minutes before. She said nothing was available anyway. Numbers 2 and 3 had cleared already.

When I went to board I showed the FA the upgrade list and asked him if there was anything he could do. He was phenomenonal. He immediately ran to a computer, tapped a few keys and handed me a First BP. When I boarded I sat down and about 5 minutes later another pax boarded. He thought I was in his seat. There was a row that had two empties so he moved there. The pax sitting next to me actually had an identical BP to me. He was on of the other 2 that had cleared. We both were assigned the same seat. Thankfully we had the extra seat left so we actually left with 1 open FC seat.

My question is how the heck do I avoid such a cluster in the future? How can I make sure I get added to standby when there are IRROPS and the ticket has to be reissued. It seems the upgrade standby list is a confusing process or idea for a lot of AA staff. I happened to get lucky, but what do you do if you get added late, are number 1, and the others clear first and there is no seat? Do you just eat it and move on?

I'm not going to lie. I seriously considered just not boarding and asking for a flight the next day because it was wide open. A six hour flight is a six hour flight and a lot more comfortable with an upgrade. Do you always have to fight this hard to "push" your 500 Mile upgrades?

Sorry for the e-novel and many questions. I was Delta then US and then back to Delta after the AA merger. Why AA gave me Plat I will never know. But I plan to stick with them as they are a perfect fit for my new employer's client sites. United could be an option, but right now I don't see any reason to rock the boat.

I've been traveling a good bit recently on AA and I've had several issues. The only one that bothers me is that they universally seem to have the most angry gate agents I've ever dealt with. Literally just have black clouds following them around and absolutely loathe to help Pax. It has been that way whether, DFW, MIA, or ORD. The FAs are amazing, though.

Thanks.